Thursday, October 15, 2015

Manage income risk

I’m a senior majoring in Econ and Psychology, and I will be graduating in summer of 2016. As my graduation is coming close, the first thing I can think about is to start looking for an ideal job as early as possible. Starting job searching early would be helpful for me to manage future income risk, because I would technically have a bigger chance to find a job with the income level I pursue.
Another thing I’ve done to manage income risk is doing a double major. The job market is very competitive comparing to it was in my parents’ generation, the rate of people having a bachelor degree and above is increasing, so I decide to add a second major. I’m expecting that having bachelor degrees of two majors will make me more competitive. Besides, I will have a wider range of jobs to choose from comparing to having only degree of one major, which could help me manage income risk in the future.
As I have a great interest for both Econ and Psychology, especially child psychology, I've interned in different institutions, includes bank, and real estate company, where I can apply economics knowledge at school, and children’s camps, where I will be able to have experience of working with children. I plan to look for jobs in both fields after graduation, if I get offers from jobs of both fields, income will be an important criteria for me to consider which job to take.
It is lucky for me that I haven’t accumulated any debt, so I will have less pressure while I graduate. Many of my friends have gone through job markets, and some of them have started their own business. I think people who’ve gone through job markets are now living a more stable life comparing to those who try to start their own business, and it is partly because there is a smaller income risk for people who work as employers of stable companies. I’ve heard a few people who did not found a satisfying job, and went to graduate school instead. I think it could be a way to manage income risk, as having a higher degree makes the person more competitive in job market.

1 comment:

  1. Are you now majoring in economics? I thought that when we talked earlier in the semester you said you hadn't taken much economics. Have your plans changed since?

    I think you start up your own business after graduation if, in fact, you've already done that while still a student. If you are just starting after graduation then you really don't know whether the venture will be sustainable or not. That is risky, to be sure.

    While you might not get to this immediately after graduation, the Business Guru Peter Drucker says that people should have two jobs - one that pays the rent, the other that satisfies ones social conscience and is done as volunteer work. Perhaps you can satisfy both of your interest that way. But at the start you'd find the job that pays the rent. You can't volunteer for very long without an independent source of income if you don't have a decent paying job.

    I agree with you about looking early, but there is also the issue of whether those who are advertising for jobs now are willing to wait. You said you were graduating in summer 2016. Does that mean May graduation or August graduation? Most of the recruiters are looking for new hires will graduate in May. If you are graduating in August, some may not be willing to wait for you.

    ReplyDelete