Thursday, September 10, 2015

Post 2

Last summer I worked in a summer camp, and taught elementary students Math and foreign languages. The summer camp is a seasonal educational organization, and the structure of camp is rather lucid. The entire camp is governed by the camp director and assistant director, and under the directors, there are heads of each department, which are educational departments, which are math, art, and foreign language departments. There is also a supporting department that is in charge of dining and security. Generally, educational department heads themselves are teachers, and they also have other teachers under them. Each teacher will be assigned teaching materials by their department heads, and the department heads monitor and instruct other teachers.
There are transaction cost exist during work. For instance, before I go to work, I have to do job searching, and apply for jobs that interest me. This process will generate transaction cost such as time and money. Besides, there are also transaction costs for students who go to the camp, too. They would have to spend time search among many camps, compare them, and find the ones that suit them. The time they spend for information searching and comparison are both considered as transaction costs.

 The transaction cost matters to me because they can possible change my decision. For example, during the job searching process, I might be able to find a perfect fit job for me if I would spend days digging information, but then it would increase the transaction cost, so I stopped the information searching process when I had found okay options for me.

4 comments:

  1. You referred to this place as a summer camp, yet it sounded like a school. It would help for you to distinguish the two and what makes this a camp rather than a school. Then it would help for you to describe with the kids want to attend, especially if they have to pay (or if their parents have to pay).

    It would also help if you told us where this was. I'm guess that it wasn't in the U.S., but in a good essay the reader wouldn't have to guess. That information would be provided.

    When I was a kid I went to day camp for 3 years (ages 5 - 7) and then to sleep away camp for 6 years after that (ages 8 - 13). Eventually I tired of the camp structure and my parents allowed me to stay home when during the summer when I was 14. (I believe I took a typing class then.) The reason for the summer camp then was in part to give the parents a break from the kids. Day camp did that for working parents. Sleep away camp allowed the parents to go on vacation without the children.

    I'm guessing that your camp served a different purpose, but it is hard to tell from what you wrote. So in your comments, you might address some of that and in future posts you might give some more information so the reader can better understand these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Prod Arvan, thank you for the comments. You were right about this place was not in the U.S., it was actually in China instead. In China we have a different system for summer camp. Schools in China are very competitive, and the parents would expect their children to take extra course during summer to improve children's school grades, and that is the purpose the camp served. The camps would usually offer curriculum that are similar to school curriculum, such as Math, Chinese, Chemistry, etc., and I guess that was why you think the camp I wrote about sounded like a school. I should had clarified these points in the post, and thank you very much for pointing out.

      Delete